Sunday, August 18, 2013

04-08 F150 Leveling Kit Review

Well while I was browsing around on one of the forums I frequent earlier (F150online), I saw someone mention this lift kit:


Upon first glance at it the first thing that stood out as a red flag to me was that it's a leveling kit that says it gives 3.5" of lift to the front end. For those of you who don't know, anything over 2.5" leveling kit wise on the front end of the 04-08 F-150's is a terrible idea. It gives terrible angles to the ball joints, tie rod ends, and the cv axles too if your 4x4, which basically means that you'll be replacing those components a lot more than normal. I've heard of people where the components were only lasting about 10k miles where they should be lasting 50-70k miles on average. On top of that these huge spacers can also possibly damage the struts or the springs on the struts from allowing them to over extend. 

Now on to the control arms, another red flag for me. No major lift kit company uses these, which to me means if they don't use them there's probably a good reason for it. The only times I've seen extended upper control arms on the 04-08's is on long travel suspension which is a completely different type of kit than your standard lift or leveling kit like this. In those kits it's used to allow more wheel travel without contact while maintaining proper geometry through the suspension cycle. But in this kit the only use I can see for it is because the spacer is so big that with the stock arms, bolting it back together would be next to impossible. So these extended arms are basically there to allow the suspension to bolt together, and nothing more. 

Another red flag to me was the price. Massive leveling kit, blocks, u-bolts, and uni-ball upper controls arms for under 400 seems a bit low to me. Granted this could be some introductory price, but it makes me question the quality of it. I'd think that some new form of leveling kit that allows more lift than any other brand of leveling kit without need a full suspension lift would charge a higher price. Not only because no one else makes it meaning they can corner the market, but also because the price of parts alone would place it above the price of other kits. I see this as one of those kits where the major market they try to appeal to is the people who are new to the scene, don't know what's good or bad, or are looking to save some money. In the end though, it'll end up costing you way more money than you would've saved by doing it right. In my honest opinion, I'd recommend steering away from this kit.

1 comment: